The sparrow flies at midnight...

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

If You Read This, You Will Have Sex

If You Read This, You Will Have Sex Hello. I'm Eugene. by Eugene Mirman
I understand that advertising has to make it seem like buying a product will give you two things: the product itself (it has to, legally) and all of your fantasies coming true. That's the price we pay for finding happiness from a cereal or car. Sometimes though, ads can be so overbearingly aggressive and sexual that it's a bit much. There's a number of Budweiser ads on the subway that give the impression that hot multi-racial couples are going to put beers in each others asses. But the ad does it's job—it makes me want chill out at a bar with a Bud, partially for the taste, but mostly to send the signal that if you hang with me, I'll put a beer in your ass.

Do yourself a favor and read the rest of this guy's post. It reminded me of a commercial I saw the other night for a mattress retailer. The ad seemed overly suggestive and I thought that maybe it was a parody... after all, it was on Comedy Central. It was just a young woman bouncing up and down, as if on a mattress but in slow motion. I only wish I could remember the voice-over copy. My friend & I looked at each other as if to say "Did you see that? Are they serious?". Since their motto requires you to trust them for the rest of your life, it was strange for them to go the risque "have more fun in bed" route. I'm not being a prude, I'm just saying...

Has anyone else seen this?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home